So here is a great opportunity to share some great healthy recipes!
photo credit recipeallfreeLately my husband and I have been sticking to the very healthy and very cheap meals for his diet and our wallet!
So this is what most of our dinners consist of:
Lean Chicken Breasts (we like Foster Farms best) - Grill on the stove with some EVOO and seasonings of your choice. We like to change it up a lot!
Rice - we go through more rice than you could imagine! If we're paring it with spicier chicken then we'll go with some hot sauce in our rice.
Veggie - I like to throw in a veggie (whether or not my husband eats it...). Mike's nutritionist told him to do green beans so that's about all he'll agree to eating. Try blanching them - I've found I really like them that way!
To mix up your protein try using fish. You can find some great fish on sale and get the amazing benefits of having some seafood in your diet. Most people seem to prefer salmon but that tends to be a little bit expensive so try other types like Tilapia! I've found that it tastes great and is pretty inexpensive!
Some of my favorite healthier recipes that I've already shared on Just2Birds are:
- Homemade Fajitas - we have these about once per week! So EASY!
- Frozen Yogurt Dots - the perfect cool treat this summer!
Here are my next 3 healthier recipes to try!
1- Healthier General Tso’s Chicken
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups snow peas, trimmed and halved diagonally
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Chicken and Coating
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite-size pieces
- For sauce: Mix together water and cornstarch until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients. Set aside.
- For chicken: Whisk together egg whites, cornstarch, salt and pepper. Stir in chicken.
- To cook: Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add a small amount of oil. Add half of chicken to pan, dripping off excess coating. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan, add more oil if necessary and repeat with remaining chicken. Set the chicken aside.
- Add sauce to skillet and cook until snow peas are tender and sauce is thickened. Add chicken (and any collected juices) to skillet.Toss to coat.
- Serve with rice.
*Make sure to use gluten-free soy sauce if cooking for those who cannot handle wheat.
* Feel free to add as many veggies as you like.
Doesn't that sound delicious??
2- Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets
- 16 oz (2 large) skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into even bit sized pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp panko
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil spray (I used my Misto)
oven to 425°.Spray
a baking sheet with olive oil spray.
Put the olive oil in one bowl and the breadcrumbs, panko and parmesan cheese in another.
chicken with salt and pepper, then put in the bowl with the olive oil andmix well
so the olive oil evenly coats all of the chicken.
a few chunks of chicken at a time into the breadcrumb mixture to coat, then on the baking sheet. Lightlyspray
the top with olive oil spray thenbake
8 - 10 minutes.Turn
another 4 - 5 minutes or until cooked though.
Ok, truth be told I'm basically a big kid! I love chicken nuggets!
3- Cranberry Corn Muffin Recipe
(makes 14 muffins)
1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1 cup all purpose flour (or white whole wheat flour)
1 cup yellow cornmeal
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg (beaten)
Preheat oven to 400F. Line muffin cups with paper liners. Coarsely chop cranberries in food processor or with a chef's knife.
Mix dry ingredients in large bowl and then add wet ingredients and cranberries. Mix until just combined. Fill muffin cups close to the top and bake until golden (about 20 minutes). Enjoy! Freeze some for the future.
I *LOVE* muffins and this recipe looks so good and EASY!
Who is with my for sharing some healthy recipes? Link up your great eats below or add them in the comments!